Pages

October 23, 2011

Cowgirl Jessie Halloween Costume



Is she a darling Jessie doll, or what?!
My daughter asked me a month or so ago if she could be Jessie, from the movie Toy Story, and I thought to myself - I could do that!

We have the collection edition Jessie doll at my house - and I used that little doll as my model to make a pretty darn good replica for my daughter's costume...



And lucky for me - she loves it!  She makes a great cowgirl!

I didn't take as many in progress pictures as I sometimes do - but here are a few quick pictures to give you an idea of how I put it all together...
A white button up shirt from Old Navy got some yellow fabric on the top.  I cut the yellow fabric the right shape, with enough extra on the top and sides to fold it under.  The part along the buttons is folded into the shirt.  I used bias tape for the red trim.  I also used heat n' bond to hold the fabric to the shirt before I sewed all around the edges.  I had to re-cut the button hole and re-sew on the button where the yellow fabric covered. 

After tracing the swirl pattern I sewed down some pretty red ribbing that I found at the fabric store.

The cuffs were each piece of yellow fabric, folded in half lengthwise.  I measured the cuff to get the correct length of yellow fabric, and cut it double the width that I wanted so I could fold it over.

After I sewed the red ribbing on, the short ends were sewn together, right sides together, with white ribbon loops facing in.  This formed a yellow circle.

Then I pinned the raw edge of the yellow circle to the shirt cuff (yellow, inside the white shirt, wrong sides together, sewed around the cuff, and then folded the yellow over the top of the cuff.

 
Here the cuffs are, attached to the shirt:


The chaps are slightly different than the real Jessie's outfit - but I didn't want to ruin a pair of jeans by sewing through them.  So, I made my chaps so that they would be held up through the belt loops. 

I cut the shape of each leg out of the only cow fabric I could find at the fabric store, and some denim material I had leftover.  With the cow fabric and denim wrong sides together, I sewed black bias tape all the way around the edge. 
After that, I sewed on elastic at thigh level and calf level - so that they would stay wrapped around the legs.  I also sewed the white ribbon loops on at the bottom.  Finally, I folded over the top part to make a loop that the belt would thread through.




This hat is foam - from the craft store.  I spray painted it red, painted the white strip around the middle with acrylic paint, and hot glued the white ribbing around the edge.

I also punched holes all around the edge to loop the white ribbing through...

Finally, I hot glued some hair combs onto the inside of the hat.  I needed a way for the hat to stay on my daughter's head - and they worked great!

My daughter was very involved in the supervision of her costume :)  She insisted on a pull string in the back, just like the real Jessie doll...clever girl.  (She even counted the number of white ribbon loops I put on the chaps to make sure I had put the right number on!)
The pull string is a little bracelet from her play clothes box, attached to the loop in the back of her shirt with a string.

Look at those cute cowgirls!  Whew!  I am glad to have this done in time for Halloween.  And I even made her a coordinating trick or treat bag
Now, I just have to figure out costumes for the rest of our family! :)
Pin It



image signature
Follow me on Facebook



12 comments:

  1. So cute Linds! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job! I just love the pull string. Great, great costume ... my little one will love seeing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute. I considered doing Jessie for my little girl but she asked to be a bumblebee =) I don't think my Jessie costume would have looked as great as your's.

    katy @ redBuddy notes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! that looks fabulous! I'm so glad you did the pull cord on the back, too perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just about the cutest costumes I've seen this year (maybe it has to do with my fondness for Jesse). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this came out so cute! I just made one for my niece-not as fancy as yours though!-and I agree this is one of the easiest costumes to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I can't believe you made that yourself! I dont think you could find something that nice store-bought. You did an amazing job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! This is fabulous! I love all the little details and the cord on her back. You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is perfect! My 6 year-old wants to be Jessie for Halloween - you just saved me HOURS of figuring out how to create a costume on a budget :-) Thank you so much for sharing your process!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is the best Jessie costume I have ever seen. Better than the ones they sell at the store amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

    Hello, Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY JEAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    We invest in all profitable projects with cryptocurrencies. I'm here to share an amazing life changing opportunity with you. its called Bitcoin / Forex trading options, Are you interested in earning a consistent income through binary/forex trade? or crypto currency trading. An investment of $100 or $200 can get you a return of $2,840 in 7 days of trading and you get to do this from the comfort of your home/work. It goes on and on The higher the investment, the higher the profits. Your investment is safe and secured and payouts assured 100%. if you wish to know more about investing in Cryptocurrency and earn daily, weekly OR Monthly in trading on bitcoin or any cryptocurrency and want a successful trade without losing Contact MRS.DOROTHY JEAN INVESTMENTS profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    categories of investment

    Cryptocurrency
    Loan Offer
    Mining Plan
    Business Finance Plan
    Binary option Trade Plan
    Forex trade Plan
    Stocks market Trade Plan
    Return on investment (ROI) Plan
    Gold and Silver Trade Plan
    Oil and Gas Trade Plan
    Diamond Trade Plan
    Agriculture Trade Plan
    Real Estate Trade Plan

    YOURS IN SERVICE
    Mrs. Dorothy Pilkenton Jean
    Financial Advisor on Bank Instruments,
    Private Banking and Client Services
    Email Address: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com
    Operation: We provide Financial Service Such As Bank Instrument
    From AA Rate Banks, Cash Loan,BG,SBLC,BOND,PPP,MTN,TRADING,FUNDING MONETIZING etc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This year, don't just be a cowgirl for Halloween - be Cowgirl Jessie! This costume is perfect for the cowgirl who wants to stand out from the rest. With a unique cowgirl hat and boots, you'll be sure to turn heads this Halloween. So saddle up and get ready for some fun!

    ReplyDelete