Pages

August 27, 2011

Drift Wood Plaque



I have been admiring this saying for a while
"If you want to know how much I love you, count the waves"
- which I originally found on Pinterest (don't you just love it!? (both Pinterest and the saying!)).

When we were recently visiting family in Oregon, we went to the coast and had a fun, cold time :)   With the help of my kids, we picked up some beautiful driftwood and flat rocks, because there are always neat crafts to do with these sorts of things, and the sentimentality of picking them up while on a vacation to my home state is an added bonus!

If I had had the space to pack it back, I would have picked up a bunch more driftwood to make something like this driftwood planter box.  But alas, this was about all I could fit home....


I made some fun rock art for my kid's room a while back, and I may do more of that at some point - to commemorate rocks we have picked up from different states.  I do have a few rocks left over from this trip.
But this was a really fun project, and it doesn't have to be for the girls' room only.  I think it is pretty sweet for any room in the house :)

Here's how I made it:
I printed the words in a font I liked, rubbed pencil on the back of the paper, and traced over the words to leave an impression on the wood...



I took some black paint and traced over the pencil lettering until it looked like this:
You could also use a sharpie I think - but I personally like the texture and shine of the paint on the wood.
I also drilled 5 tiny holes in the wood across the bottom - you can see them here in this picture - to put the wire through.

I took some nice round rocks, in different shades, and painted a wave on each one.  (By the way, whenever I talk about painting anything - I am always using acrylic paint unless I tell you otherwise.)

Here is the wire I picked up at the craft store...20 gauge. 

Leaving myself some length at the top, I wrapped the wire around the rock a few times until it was secure enough to hang.  I just tucked the end in the back so you can't see it when it hangs.  They are all different and I like that they aren't perfect...


Then, I stuck the wire through the holes I had drilled, from back to front, and twirled the ends into little spirals.  The spirals keep the wire in place in order to hold the rocks up, and add a nice decorative element...


Now, I just have to figure out how to hang it!  In this picture it is resting on a nail - and that seems to work just fine (although I would use 2 nails to make it less likely to tip).  I am sure I could add a sawtooth hanger on the back, but first I have to decide exactly where I want to put it. 

I do love the natural, beachy feel - and of course the saying is so sweet.  I am very pleased with the outcome of this quick project. 
If you lived near the coast, this would be a perfect addition to your decor...If not, a beachy summer mantle would love a little something like this :) 


image signature


6 comments:

  1. What a great project! :) I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/drift-wood-plaque/

    If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this so super cute come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun project! Love the rocks!
    --michellepaige.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so adorable! I would love to feature it on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete