Pages

April 21, 2010

Earphone Pouch - Bag without Raw Seams!

I wanted a little pouch for my ipod earphones, so that when I kept them in my purse they wouldnt get dirty or tangled. 
I have also used this concept to make larger bags for guinea pigs - so that they don't snag their toes on raw edges.  In that case, the inside fabric is fleece to keep them warm. 

I decided I wanted a bag with no seams, and it was a little complicated - so here is the tutorial:

1.  Cut 4 pieces of fabric - 2 for the outside of the bag, and 2 for the inside.  They can be all the same color, or complementing colors.  I made mine 4" x 5" for a very small pouch.  This concept would work for bigger bags as well.  For instance, my guinea pig bags were 11" wide and 13" tall when finished.


2.  Place the 2 squares of the same color right sides together.  For the fabric that will be the outside of the bag, sew along 3 sides, leaving the top open.
For the fabric that will be the inside of the bag, sew along 3 sides, but leave a 2+ inch hole in the bottom (for turning it right side out eventually) and leave the top open.  See photo below:
3.  Turn the fabric being used for the inside of the bag right side out.  Then, put it inside the other bag.  See photos:

4.  Sew around the top of the bag, so that the 2 bags are stitched together all along the top edge. 

5.  Pull out the inner bag.

6.  Pull the entire thing through the hole.  Fabric will then become right side out.  Then, stitch the hole shut, either with your sewing maching, or whip stitch by hand. 

7.  Push the inner bag into the outer bag. 




8. Fold down the top edge (if desired) and sew around it.


9. Add sew on velcro.

Finished!



image signature

I'm linking up to:

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. We are always losing ours and tangling them! My husband will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Cute! I'd love it if you joined in on our "show off" post @ http://www.beckhamandbloom.com/2010/12/show-off.html
    My readers would love this craft! Have a great week.
    Melly
    http://www.beckhamandbloom.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really impressed with your efforts and really pleased to visit this post.
    proof cases

    ReplyDelete