Pages

March 16, 2010

Drink Sleeve - Coffee Cozy

This is my favorite new sewing craft! I am giving this as a gift to someone who drinks a coffee every day - and it is so nice and easy.

1.  I took a cardboard sleeve from Starbucks, and opened it up to make a guide.  As you can see, I did not follow the shape exactly but it really helped me get the correct curve. 
I made the template at least a 1 inch wider than the cardboard sleeve, and 2 inches longer.  This compensates for seam allowance. 
I made a template for the inner insulation which was about the same size as the cardboard sleeve. 
2. Cut two pieces of fabric using the larger template.  Cut one piece of insul bright using the smaller template.  Insulbright can be found at the fabric store.  It comes on a roll, to be purchased by the yard.  It was about $6 or $7 a yard when I bought it.  It is white, and has a metalic layer to keep things hot or cold!
3.  Lay your fabric pieces right sides together, and the insulbright on top of that.  Align the insul bright close to one of the sort edges of the fabric.  Sew around 3 sides of the fabric using 1/4 inch seam allowance.  So - you will sew down the 2 long edges, and the short edge.  You will only sew the insulbright along the short edge. 
4.  Turn it right side out.  Fold in the raw edge and sew around the entire sleeve, using 1/4 inch seam allowance.  This time, you will catch the insulbright between the layers as you sew.  Note:  If you make the insulbright the same size as your fabric, when you sew it down and flip it right side out it will look very bulky along the seams.  This does not look as good. 
5.  I prefer using the velcro as an attachment.  I found that it is easier to get on the cup.  However, I have made some using elastic and a button.  I have attached a couple of pictures.  If you want to use elastic and a button you will need to insert your elastic before you sew around the edge. 

Photobucket


Photobucket

6. The pictures above show the velcro sewn on
7. The pictures below show the button sewn on

No comments:

Post a Comment